Egress Window Well Overview
Egress window wells are required when a basement window is a secondary means of escape from a bedroom in order to comply with Egress Codes. Having the correctly sized window well to is important part of meeting egress requirements and providing a safe method of escape from basements.
Egress Window Well Features
Strong Galvanized Steel Construction
Pre drilled Holes For Easy Installation
Available In a Variety of Sizes to Ensure Code Compliance
Designed to Withstand Heavy Backfill
Covers Available to Ensure Safety and Code Compliance.
Egress Window Well Availability
Egress window wells are available by order from building centers across Canada. Please Contact Us to find a retailer near you.
Sizing your Egress Window Well
Your egress window well should be correctly sized to ensure code compliance.
- Your egress window well should be high enough to extend 4-6” above the soil grade and deep enough to extend at least 8” below the bottom of the window.
- Your egress window well should be at least 4-6” wider than the window opening.
- Your egress window well projection should meet minimum code specifications for your region.
Installing Your Egress Window Well
Your egress window well should be installed securely against the foundation. Check our installation guide for complete details
Egress Window Well – Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Standard Egress Window Well Sizes?
As standards can vary based municipality or region we do not provide standard sized egress window well sizes, but produce each Egress window well to meet individual job requirements.
What are the Building Codes for Egress Window Wells?
Building codes vary by municipality but the minimum standard in Canada is established by section 220.127.116.11 of the National Model Construction Codes and Guides which is developed and maintained by the Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes (CCBFC), an independent committee of volunteers established by the National Research Council of Canada (NRC).
18.104.22.168. Window Opening into a Window-Well
- Where a window required in Article 22.214.171.124.opens into a window-well, a clearance of not less than 550 mm shall be provided in front of the window.
- Where the sash of a window referred to in Sentence (1) swings towards the window well, the operation of the sash shall not reduce the clearance in a manner that would restrict escape in an emergency.
- Where a protective enclosure is installed over the window well referred to in Sentence (1), the enclosure shall be operable from the inside without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge of the opening mechanism
Please consult the building codes in your area and/or your building inspector before adopting the above information as codes can vary by region and job specific conditions.
Are Window Well Covers Required for Egress Window Wells?
No they are not. However, because of the exposed surface area and large depth of egress window wells, covers are strongly recommend for bath safety and to prevent accumulation of precipitation and debris.
Are Window Well Covers Available for Egress Window Wells?
Yes. We can fabricate covers to fit any size egress window well.